computer language shootout

matt hellige matt@immute.net
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:18:49 -0500

[Miles Egan <miles@caddr.com>]
> I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find a
> searchable version of the mail archive.
>
> Doug Bagley's computer language shootout, http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/,
> a collection of mini-benchmarks in several languages, doesn't paint a very
> flattering picture of GHC's performance.  GHC is even ranked below Ruby and
> Python!  Has anyone tried to optimize any of the GHC programs?
>
> Ocaml fares quite well in these tests and a glance at several of the Ocaml
> programs suggests that most of them have been fairly aggressively optimized.
> These kinds of benchmarks are kind of silly, but also a good p.r. opportunity.

which benchmark were you looking at in particular? as far as i know, there
is no sort of "overall conclusion" on that particular site... and on many
of the benchmarks, ghc performed quite competitively (in some cases even
beating the pants off g++)...

of course, on some tests it didn't do so well, and several of the tests didn't
apply at all (e.g., object instantiation).

i'm particularly interested in the statement that ghc ranked below ruby.
on most of the benchmarks i just looked at, ruby was very near or at the
bottom of the list, with tcl and php...

what exact information from that site are you looking at? maybe i missed
something?

matt

--
matt hellige                  matt@immute.net