computer language shootout

Miles Egan miles@caddr.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 07:55:13 -0700

I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find a
searchable version of the mail archive.

Doug Bagley's computer language shootout, http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/,
a collection of mini-benchmarks in several languages, doesn't paint a very
flattering picture of GHC's performance.  GHC is even ranked below Ruby and
Python!  Has anyone tried to optimize any of the GHC programs?

Ocaml fares quite well in these tests and a glance at several of the Ocaml
programs suggests that most of them have been fairly aggressively optimized.
These kinds of benchmarks are kind of silly, but also a good p.r. opportunity.

--
miles

"We in the past evade X, where X is something which we believe to be a
lion, through the act of running." - swiftrain@geocities.com