computer language shootout

Miles Egan
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:17:29 -0700

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 11:18:49AM -0500, matt hellige wrote:
> [Miles Egan <>]
> > I apologize if this question has already been asked, but I couldn't find a
> > searchable version of the mail archive.
> >
> > Doug Bagley's computer language shootout,,
> > a collection of mini-benchmarks in several languages, doesn't paint a very
> > flattering picture of GHC's performance.  GHC is even ranked below Ruby and
> > Python!  Has anyone tried to optimize any of the GHC programs?
> >
> > Ocaml fares quite well in these tests and a glance at several of the Ocaml
> > programs suggests that most of them have been fairly aggressively optimized.
> > These kinds of benchmarks are kind of silly, but also a good p.r. opportunity.
> >
> which benchmark were you looking at in particular? as far as i know, there
> is no sort of "overall conclusion" on that particular site... and on many
> of the benchmarks, ghc performed quite competitively (in some cases even
> beating the pants off g++)...

Overall speed ratings on the "scorecard" page place GHC below AWK and slightly
ahead of TCL.  GHC does perform well on a few of the benchmarks but performs
surprisingly poorly on many others, which makes me think that there's a lot of
room for improvement.

"We in the past evade X, where X is something which we believe to be a
lion, through the act of running." -