GHC/Happy on MacOS X/Darwin

Hans Aberg haberg@matematik.su.se
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:01:38 +0100

[Replies please cc me or the hugs-bugs list, as I currently is not on the
Haskell list.]
At 11:05 +0100 1-01-03, Atze Dijkstra wrote:
>On http://www.cs.uu.nl/~atze/Programming/index.html a version of ghc
>(4.08.1) and happy (still 1.8) for MacOS X/Darwin can be downloaded.
>However, a few remarks do apply: this version of ghc is not a completely
>ported version but built with generic settings and meant as a
>bootstrapping compiler. It also is distributed as binaries for a specific
>location (/usr/local/{ghc,happy}) in the UNIX directory structure. The
>main reasons for distributing it in this unfinished form are:
>- The MacOS X cc (c compiler) has some (blocking) bugs (for example,
>problems with asm statements) which hinder progress.

Isn't this related to the "munging" that GHC makes use of on other platforms?

>- I consider 'unfinished' availability now of greater importance than
>'perfect' availability later, so people can play with it.
>- The compiler seems to run ok, that is, after minimal testing (compiling
>ghc libraries and a local AG + parsercombinator system).

Otherwise it sounds great: As no-one before has been able to port anything
of GHC to MacOS (as far as I know), any kind of progress is important. (I
do not have access to MacOS X right now, so unfortunatley I cannot try out
your port.)

  Hans Aberg