Scope of committee (can we do *new* things?)

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu May 12 19:46:17 UTC 2016

I disagree that we should be standardizing language features that have not
been implemented.

I think having an implementation is important because:
   1. the act of implementing a feature forces you to work out details that
you may not have thought of ahead of time.  For example, for a small
syntactic extension, the implementation would have to work out how to fit
it in the grammar, and how to present the new feature in, say, error
messages.
   2. having an implementation allows users to try out the extension and
gain some empirical evidence that the extension is actually useful in
practice (this is hard to quantify, I know, but it is even harder if you
can't even use the extension at all).

If some feature ends up being particularly useful, it could always be
standardized in the next iteration of the language, when we've gained some
experience using it in practice.

-Iavor