Scope of committee (can we do *new* things?)

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Wed May 11 18:17:03 UTC 2016

> While such changes should definitely be in scope, I do think that the proper
> mechanism would be to garner enough interest to get a patch into GHC
> (whether through discussion on the -prime list or elsewhere) and have an
> experimental implementation, even for syntax changes, before such proposals
> are considered ready for acceptance into a standard as such.

Just a side note: This is often how the C++ committee proceeds as well: a
language proposal with an experimental implementation is given much higher
credence than paperware. However, they don't exclude paperware either.

So I don't think we need to rely on implementation before considering a
feature we all want, but I do agree that seeing a patch in GHC first allows
for much testing and experimentation.