Infrastructure & Communication

Mario Blažević mblazevic at stilo.com
Fri Apr 29 15:37:05 UTC 2016

On 16-04-29 09:22 AM, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> I think the general interplay between mailing lists / wiki pages /
> Trac issues that GHC uses works well. Specifically:
>
> - Mailing list for routine communication.
> - Trac tickets / Git issues / Phab something-or-other for discussion on a specific proposal.
> - Wiki page to present a specific proposal.
>
> Wiki pages and tickets are therefore often linked together, and
> sometimes a conversation has to move from the mailing list to a
> ticket (though rarely the other way around).
>
> I specifically vote against using the mailing list to debate
> well-defined issues that need to be resolved, as it's far too easy to
> lose signal in the noise and hard to see the thread all in one
> place.

	I fully agree with this point. I also agree that this particular
discussion is in happening the right venue.

> I'm personally agnostic about the decision between Trac/Github/Phab.

	I'm leaning toward GitHub for RFCs myself, mainly because of the fork &
pull request paradigm. Collaborative Wiki editing doesn't have such a
clear division of responsibilities.

	The main question is, do we want the RFCs as part of the process, or
just the draft standard and discussions thereof?