Infrastructure & Communication

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Fri Apr 29 11:15:40 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:56:51PM +0200, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> One benefit I see from using GitHub is that this way would we be closer
> to the Haskell community (given the majority of Hackage packages are
> hosted on GitHub), and our work would be more transparent for the
> community as well as offering a lower barrier to
> participation/contribution.
>
> Moreover, I think GitHub would also help make our efforts/progress
> towards a revised Haskell Report more visible to the community, which in
> turn may even provide us the motivation to carry on...

Hello,
    personally I would be more likely to read/participate in the
discussions if such discussions were hosted here or on Trac rather
than Github.
haskell-prime@ is just one 'subscribe' away, comes in a familiar package
client); I cannot say the same about Github.
Similarly, Trac allows me to follow new issues (new tickets notifications
or the life of a single ticket in particular) via rss, without having to
register to a new service.

Of course:
    1. this is just my experience -- there are many haskell
       developers on Github and they probably like the workflow
       there (I would still say the haskell-cafe@ audience is bigger
       though).
    2. I am not a committee member. In the end it's them who are going
       to pour blood/sweat/tears in the report; whichever tool the
       committee chooses is the right one