Self Nomination

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 8 12:24:40 UTC 2015

I would like to nominate myself for the Haskell Prime committee. I have been studying Haskell intensively as I'm working toward my PhD at the University of Pennsylvania, though I started programming in Haskell only in 2011.

Qualifications:
* I have designed and implemented several new features in GHC:
  - Closed type families
  - Coercible/roles
  - Several Template Haskell improvements
* I am currently putting the final touches on a large patch to GHC, merging the type and kind language and allowing reasoning about kind equalities.
* My dissertation is about dependent types in Haskell/GHC.
* I am currently serving as the Template Haskell czar for GHC.
* I am an avid user of lots of GHC extensions, particularly those concerning types. Two of my packages -- singletons and units -- make very heavy use of type system features.

Relevant opinion:
* Despite my pushing the envelope in GHC, my approach toward a language standard is conservative. Specifically, I would advocate against any of GHC's growing dependent-type features to end up in the standard: we simply don't have enough experience with these!

My website is at www.cis.upenn.edu/~eir if you wish to learn more about me.

Thanks,
Richard