Self nomination

Jurriaan Hage J.Hage at uu.nl
Wed Oct 7 19:22:59 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I’d like to nominate myself for the Haskell Prime committee.

I have been programming in Haskell since 2000 or so. Currently I teach a
course on Functional Programming that discusses many of the essentials
of Haskell to groups of over 240 or up.

To be fair:  I do not use Haskell a whole lot myself, but that is also because
my work does not demand much in terms of any kind of programming, and much of
other things. Master and PhD students that I supervise do typically implement their
ideas in Haskell.

Research-wise I have been working on Haskell too: with Bastiaan Heeren
I have looked at type error diagnosis for Haskell, have contributed to
the Helium compiler for novice programmers, and are currently lead maintainer
of that compiler (available on Hackage). I am also involved in the Utrecht Haskell
Compiler (UHC) with Atze Dijkstra, co-supervising master students working on it.

I currently supervise a PhD student, Alejandro Serrano Mena, who continues
the work I did with Bastiaan: domain specific type error diagnosis for Haskell 2010,
with an eye to implementing this in UHC or GHC.

My research interest lies in making Haskell the best vehicle for
embedded domain-specific languages in the world. Incidently, I gave a talk on this
at Curry On! in Prague (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPrM1gONdII).
Shortly, I want to extend my focus to optimisation, in a way that is transparent to
the programmer. My paper on heap recycling at PEPM 2008 with Stefan Holdermans
provides a sample of this.

I am also much interested in the tensions that arise from combining Haskell the
research-vehicle with Haskell the vehicle for the professional, and Haskell the vehicle for
teaching how to program in a single specification.

My website is at http://foswiki.cs.uu.nl/foswiki/Hage/WebHome where you can also
find a list of publications, many of which involve Haskell one way or another.

best,
Jurriaan Hage
Utrecht University