Haskell 2010: libraries

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Jul 8 15:05:44 EDT 2009

Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> If I understand that correctly, this would mean to simply include the
> particular version of a library that happens to be the current one at
> the report deadline. In other words, the report specifies that say
> version 4.1.0.0 of the base library is the standard one for 2010.
>
> Since old library versions are archived on hackage, this looks like a
> cheap and easy solution to me. It's more an embellishment of alternative
> 1. than a genuine 3.

It could be a mere informative reference: "the most-community-accepted
libraries at the time of publication are:".

Keep in mind also that some of the libraries change irrevocably (like
base has; with changes like Unicode I/O, or adding the Category class
above Arrow.  When it is tied to a particular compiler version it's less
trivial to support multiple libraries... or even when it's not, version
skew can get annoying

-Isaac