[Haskell-community] Request for comment: New haskell.org download page

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 02:09:32 UTC 2015

Running through the thread up to this point my preferences would run to
options 4 or 5. I'm almost equally split between the two, but both put the
minimal installer at the top of the list addressing the bulk of the
objections raised here, and avoid letting the platform scribble all over
the global package database.

The minimal install seems to "do the least harm" while ensuring that folks
have an actual compiler in hand when they get done with our download page.
The user is at a download page for Haskell, downloading and not getting a
GHC install out of the box (stack first) seems to run contrary to the
primary motivation for folks to come to the page.

If it also bundled stack as well across all systems I think it'd address
most of the concerns addressed by the 'stack only' option. To split hairs,
I think while the linux installer for the minimal distribution doesn't
include stack I lean slightly towards 5 over 4, and when and if we can fix
it so that it does include stack then I'd lean towards 4 over 5.

If in the future Ed Yang's "no-reinstall" cabal stuff gets into mainline,
and/or stack gets incorporated into the platform, and the attendant issues
get worked out in good faith by all parties, then the landscape could
likely change considerably and the pros of putting the Haskell Platform at
the top of the list may well outweigh the cons, but we're not yet in that
world.

-Edward