[Haskell-cafe] Package Takeover: `toml`

Bryan Richter b at chreekat.net
Sat Mar 13 06:52:16 UTC 2021

Fair point: my suggestion was unclear. I agree that explicitly stating a
takeover request is important. I meant to suggest widening the search as an
intermediate step between direct contact with the maintainer and the
takeover announcement, itself. It could be step 1.B.?

For the record, I think that Emily, Tom, and others acted reasonably and in
good faith in this thread, although my own tone was regrettably snappy.

I do think the existing policy works, but I stand by my (clarified)
suggestion. Even if the actual maintainer is unruffled by the sudden
appearance of a takeover announcement, as in this case, the wider public
--- most of whom probably aren't even aware of the policy --- should also
be considered. I think it's easier to avoid [confusion] than resist it. If
people keep getting confused by the same thing, maybe it's the thing itself
that needs clarification.