[Haskell-cafe] Package Takeover: `toml`

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:26:24 UTC 2021

On Mar 12, 2021, 12:27 PM -0500, Bryan Richter <b at chreekat.net>, wrote:
> Can I suggest to the Hackage Whoever a slight change in policy?
>
> I think the shock of seeing a package takeover request for your own package is understandably, uh, shocking, and makes the ensuing discussion tense. I also feel like most takeover requests follow this pattern; rarely does a package end up changing hands.
>
> Perhaps it's a problem of tone.
>
> Rather than suggesting "State your intention to take over the package in a public forum ", step 2 should lighten up and state, "After trying to reach the maintainer for a reasonable amount of time, reach out to the public to expand your search."
>
> https://wiki.haskell.org/Taking_over_a_package

The proposed change is not just a tone change. The point of step 2 is that an official request be filed in a public forum and sufficient time then pass that we can be confident the maintainer has been publicly informed of the issue. It’s not about having a heavy tone or the like.

This whole fracas is simply the result of confusion and miscommunication — a package appeared unmaintained, but it turned out that there was a maintainer, but it was hard to tell because the maintainer was not listed on the last uploaded package. The correct fix for this is everyone chill out, go for a walk, and then get on with more productive things.

By the way, I should mention that there _is_ a hackage audit log of who has been added to maintainer (and trustee and admin) groups, and by whom, since there seemed to be some confusion about that.

Best,
Gershom