[Haskell-cafe] Package Takeover: `toml`

amindfv at mailbox.org amindfv at mailbox.org
Fri Mar 12 18:29:47 UTC 2021

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 07:15:12PM +0200, Bryan Richter wrote:
> Can I suggest to the Hackage Whoever a slight change in policy?
>
> I think the shock of seeing a package takeover request for your own package
> is understandably, uh, shocking, and makes the ensuing discussion tense. I
> also feel like most takeover requests follow this pattern; rarely does a
> package end up changing hands.
>
> Perhaps it's a problem of tone.

I wasn't at all shocked at the original request. I figured, correctly, Emily had looked at the package on Hackage and not seen a maintainer listed. Seemed like an easy fix. If you look at the original messages I was ready and willing to help. The shock, if there was any, came from what felt like an unwarranted claim of an urgent need, and a push to take it over even after I materialized.

> Rather than suggesting "State your intention to take over the package in a
> public forum ", step 2 should lighten up and state, "After trying to reach
> the maintainer for a reasonable amount of time, reach out to the public to
> expand your search."

I don't have a problem with the original wording but I do like your change.

Tom