[Haskell-cafe] Looking for a paper [Dijkstra-Dot]

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Jun 8 15:49:32 UTC 2020

Am 08.06.20 um 16:07 schrieb amindfv at gmail.com:
> Haskell's reputation as a welcoming community is on shakier ground
> than it was a few years ago, and phrases like "despite your endless
> ranting" work against the collegial atmosphere we're proud of.

To put this in perspective, here are a few citations from what I have
called "endless ranting":

> ... misapplying ... in a rather badly-informed way.
> ... it doesn't seem to know Haskellers very well; nor Dijkstra's
> well-known support for Haskell in education.
> ... can't even spell his first name right...
> ... it's a couple of dudes shooting the breeze.
> ...To put it bluntly: the authors are blundering.
> ... a bogus problem; direct consequence of the authors not
> understanding EWD1300.

Do you regard this as "welcoming" language? If not, where was your
concerned reply when they hit the list?

IMO the occasional ranting doesn't hurt anybody as long as it is
addressed not to people but to technical shortcomings. However, the
above citations are clearly ad-hominem attacks.

Or is your point that I directly addressed the author of the above
lines, rather than attacking some third party?

Cheers
Ben