[Haskell-cafe] Looking for a paper [Dijkstra-Dot]

amindfv at gmail.com amindfv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 20:19:08 UTC 2020

Sincere apologies if my message came across as me, personally, criticizing you(r actions), personally. Enforced 100% politeness isn't actually good for a community, and I have no special claim to an objective viewpoint on which messages are hurtful vs. harmful. Plus, I'm sure emails I've sent on this list have failed the test I'm describing now.

On the other hand, almost certainly most people subscribed to the mailing list haven't read every email on the list, and even a message that's "justified frustration" in context can seem like a community full of jerks to people who don't have that full context. People (real people I've spoken to offline) worry their questions will be attacked or ridiculed, and so don't ask them and stay disengaged.

Not the problem of one email or one author. And I certainly don't want to have to implicitly endorse (or not) whatever messages came before. The existence of other (imo) rude messages on the list underscores my point, not detracts from it. We should all try to make this place be and seem friendly.

Tom