[Haskell-cafe] Teaching High-School one-semester FP (using Haskell)

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Fri Dec 11 16:44:59 UTC 2020

Il 11 dicembre 2020 alle 08:21 David Feuer ha scritto:
> I think the 99 Haskell problems are mostly a *terrible* source of short
> exercises. The problem is that they're exercises translated from Prolog and
> Lisp. Some of them need substantial "translation" to even make sense in a
> typed language. Others are problems designed to highlight features Haskell
> doesn't have. Anyone looking to that list for inspiration will have to do a
> *lot* of weeding to get something suitable for beginning students, and will
> probably miss out on the opportunity to use more appropriate problems.

Big smile.  When I started out, 99 Haskell problems were so useful to me;
easy enough to tackle them myself, lots of idiomatic solutions on the wiki
to check how things were properly done.

Some of them required additional bending to fit the problem into Haskell
way of doing things; only now I realise this was not a clever choice by
the editor but a consequence of the translation.