[Haskell-cafe] Teaching High-School one-semester FP (using Haskell)

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 13:21:19 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020, 6:58 PM Albert Y. C. Lai <trebla at vex.net> wrote:

> I think that the 99 Haskell Problems are an easy source of short exercises.

I think the 99 Haskell problems are mostly a *terrible* source of short
exercises. The problem is that they're exercises translated from Prolog and
Lisp. Some of them need substantial "translation" to even make sense in a
typed language. Others are problems designed to highlight features Haskell
doesn't have. Anyone looking to that list for inspiration will have to do a
*lot* of weeding to get something suitable for beginning students, and will
probably miss out on the opportunity to use more appropriate problems.