[Haskell-cafe] web framework

Steven Leiva leiva.steven at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 17:02:52 UTC 2018

On the backend, there are a lot of options for you.

   - Snap
   - Servant
   - Yesod
   - Happstack

I personally love Yesod, and am very grateful for that framework getting me
to the point where I am writing real-world web applications. The other
frameworks have a lot ot offer, but I think Yesod will be the quickest in
getting you to write your app, it has a book, there are a lot of examples,
and the community is very helpful.

On the front-end, I myself am very confused. Please verify everything below:

   - PureScript is a completely programming language; you'd use it in place
   of JavaScript
   - *Halogen*, *Pux*, *Thermit* are UI libraries written in PureScript. I
   believe that Pux / Thermit are wrappers around React (or follow the React
   paradigm).
   - Another popular option for the front-end is *Elm*
   - I didn't even know of Miso but it looks fantastic.

While I strongly recommend Yesod on the back-end, I'm hesitant to recommend
anything on the front-end. Gun to my head, I'd pick Elm, only because it is
giving me the static type safety I value highly (they all do that), and it
seems like there are more UI libraries in Elm. I'm terrible at the
front-end so I really very heavily on ready-built components, and Elm seems
to have more of those that the rest.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:00 PM, Matt <parsonsmatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you know Haskell, then the remaining bits of PureScript will not take
> very long. It's like moving from C++ to Java, or Ruby to Python. Most of
> your experience carries over, and you can learn the differences as they
> arise. You can likely be productive in PureScript tomorrow.
>
> There's a lot of discussion on PureScript development on the FPChat slack,
> invite link here: https://fpchat-invite.herokuapp.com/
>
> In my experience, PureScript has been much nicer to work with than GHCJS
> or Elm. PureScript's editor tooling is absolutely fantastic, and the
> language has "fixed" a number of warts in Haskell. The record system and
> interop with JavaScript are wonderful, as well.
>
> Matt Parsons
>
> On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 7:54 PM, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but what do you think the learning curve will be on PureScript?
>> How similar to Haskell is it?
>>
>> I want to balance some factors here. As my initial goal is rapid
>> prototyping and experimentation, I'd like to use a language I already know
>> well, in other words Haskell.
>>
>> But of course even with a familiar language, I'm going into a quite
>> unfamiliar situation (web programming) and there is a learning curve with
>> that.
>>
>> It may be that a language other than Haskell, i.e. PureScript, although
>> requiring a learning curve, would be more suited to my app's needs and thus
>> save me grief.
>>
>> I don't know.
>> Dennis

Steven Leiva