[Haskell-cafe] emacs problem : haskell mode keeps hanging to report types, renders emacs useless

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 22:00:17 UTC 2017

> I have just reinstalled everything. Newest release of emacs,
> Haskell-pakage and Haskell-mode and Haskell.
> I have tried to do this as cleanly as possible (via the customise and
> package install interfaces).
> Now when I try to edit haskell files, the system keeps freezing to report
> types. [...]

I don't have a concrete solution for your problem, but instead of fighting
with Emacs packages and customizations directly, I would *highly* recommend
Spacemacs (http://spacemacs.org/).After using and customizing Emacs for
several decades, I switched to Spacemacs some months ago and never looked
back. Getting a coherent set of packages for a task, and getting those
packages to actually work together requires a non-trivial amount of
configuration fiddling. This is what Spacemacs does for you, plus an easy
way to update.

Having said that, Spacemacs' Haskell layer works perfectly for me, perhaps
you can give it a try. Another hint: Use stack/stackage instead of fiddling
around with GHC installations, Cabal, sandboxes etc. for yourself.

Cheers,
   S.