[Haskell-cafe] stack, git, directory structure

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jun 26 08:40:11 UTC 2017

Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com> writes:

> I got a private reply which helps but it made me think of another question.
>
> In the stack demo, there's one executable 'helloworld-exe' which is
> compiled from app/Main.hs.
>
> If I'm going to have several executables, what do I call the source files,
> and how do I control the file name of the executable that gets built?

AFAIU that's what the `executable: <name>` in your .cabal does. This is
the text describing executable sections at [1].

  Executable sections (if present) describe executable programs
  contained in the package and must have an argument after the section
  label, which defines the name of the executable. This is a freeform
  argument but may not contain spaces.

And you control the source files using `main-is:` and `other-modules:`.
One common pattern I've seen is to put most source files into a library
and then have each executable use that library and have a very "thin"
main source file.

/M

[1]: https://www.haskell.org/cabal/users-guide/developing-packages.html#executables

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

The greatest performance improvement of all is when a system goes from
not-working to working.
     — John Ousterhout