[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 22:25:57 UTC 2017

> Am 23.01.2017 um 21:21 schrieb Sven Panne:
> > [...] Something like this happened to me at least three times in my
> career, and
> > even if it's not direct refusal to accept such licenses, there are quite
> > few companies (especially bigger ones) which require a *lenghty* process
> > get SW with such licenses approved. This doesn't exactly encourage
> > engineers to take that route... [...]
>
> Ok, still anecdotal evidence.

Well, seriously: What did you expect? That somebody here comes up with
numbers like: "X% of company lawyers prefer to take the safe (i.e. ban GPL)
route because of personal reasons and don't care about the greater good of
their company"? Interesting numbers, sure, but a bit hard to figure out, I
guess...

> Yes, there are such companies/lawyers. Perhaps this is enough to justify
> caution. I would still like to see
> some numbers.

OK, how to get them?

> > There is no such thing as "the company", basically people are acting as
> > individuals (see above).
>
> Ah, well. So if the CEO thinks opportunities trump the risks he/she
> *could* just overrule whatever the lawyers say. [...]

Same reasoning again: You basically get promoted by avoiding disaster (=
law suit), not by being a hero who took some risks. Or at least take the
risks and get quickly promoted away, before disaster happens. :-P So yes,
they could overrule, but from my anecdotal evidence, this rarely happens.
Would you like to be the one who said "I didn't care about what my lawyers
said, and now we have this multi-million dollar law suit."?

[...] Perhaps. I suspect that whatever corporate lawyers may say against GPL
> is simply irrational fear and stupid conservatism.

We could talk endlessly about this, and this might even be true, but it
doesn't change the basic fact: Lawyers are there to avoid damage for the
company, and so they act...