[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Jan 23 23:43:15 UTC 2017

Am 23.01.2017 um 23:25 schrieb Sven Panne:
> We could talk endlessly about this

Right. I am tired of it, too. I am ready to concede that there are
/enough/ of these people around that it is a real problem for some
Haskell users.

For me things are exactly the opposite: as a Haskell preprocessor, using
cpphs is the much safer option compared to CPP. History has shown that
e.g. the gcc developers change cpp's behaviour in ways that are
incompatible with using cpp for anything other than C or C++, even if
that means interpreting the C standard in quite a liberal way.

I would very much like to be able to use cpphs as a drop-in replacement
for cpp and to be able to change the default cpp in a ghc configuration
file, rather than at compile time (so I can still use a ghc packaged for
my distro).

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." ― Scott Adams