[Haskell-cafe] Batteries included (Was: GHC is a monopoly compiler)

Tillmann Rendel rendel at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Sep 30 22:35:29 UTC 2016

Hi,

Theodore Lief Gannon wrote:
> D'oh, pkg-config of course. And I took an initial 'pacman -Syu' for
> granted but I suppose that's not documented anywhere specific to
> Stack... probably worth doing.

So installing gtk is trivial ...

... assuming you know how to operate pacman and setup pkg-config in a
mingw environment? Almost there, almost. ;)

> Interesting that you had to invoke through stack exec, tho... do you
> have dynamic linking in your global config? AFAIK static is default on
> Windows, so the DLLs don't matter after linking.

I didn't change any global config options related to linking.

Note that the issue is with the gtk DLLs, not ghc-produced DLLs. I guess
gtk is always dynamically linked, and you didn't run into this when you
tested because you have GTK installed system-wide, too.

   Tillmann