[Haskell-cafe] A Procedural-Functional Language (WIP)

Simon Thompson S.J.Thompson at kent.ac.uk
Mon Oct 24 16:40:13 UTC 2016

Miranda modelled IO as a (lazy) function from [Char] -> [Char] … pretty unwieldy to use “raw”, but it was made controllable by a set of combinators that could be seen as a proto-monadic library.

Simon Y.

> On 24 Oct 2016, at 15:50, Ronald Legere <rjljr2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I must admit to some curiosity about this as well.  My recollection was that the original approach was to use lazy streams
> IO:: [request] -> [respose].
>
> This can be managed a bit better using continuations (Perhaps continuations can also be considered a separate approach?)
>
> And now we have the IO Monad.  (which can be defined in terms of the stream based approach but is not implemented that way)
>
> The only other approach I am aware of is Clean's "Unique types".

Simon Thompson | Professor of Logic and Computation
School of Computing | University of Kent | Canterbury, CT2 7NF, UK
s.j.thompson at kent.ac.uk <mailto:s.j.thompson at kent.ac.uk> | M +44 7986 085754 | W www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~sjt <http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/~sjt>