[Haskell-cafe] A Procedural-Functional Language (WIP)

Ronald Legere rjljr2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:50:07 UTC 2016

I must admit to some curiosity about this as well.  My recollection was
that the original approach was to use lazy streams
IO:: [request] -> [respose].

This can be managed a bit better using continuations (Perhaps continuations
can also be considered a separate approach?)

And now we have the IO Monad.  (which can be defined in terms of the stream
based approach but is not implemented that way)

The only other approach I am aware of is Clean's "Unique types".

On Sun, Oct 23, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Clinton Mead <clintonmead at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Just curious, what was the IO approach that "wasn't ready in time"?
>

>> Are you aware how "monadic IO" became the standard in Haskell?
>> It was one of three competing approaches, and AFAIK one turned out to be
>> less useful, and the other simply wasn't ready in time (so it might still
>> be interesting to investigate).

Ron Legere (rjljr2 at gmail.com)
 *C'est le temps que tu as perdu pour ta rose qui fait ta rose si
importante*