[Haskell-cafe] Datomic-like db for Haskell?

Ertugrul Söylemez esz at posteo.de
Fri Dec 23 15:27:38 UTC 2016

> Basically what I am looking for is a database which could keep all the
> versions of my data in an efficient way, the same way the persistent
> data structures do.
>
> Ideally it should be implemented over some scalable storage.

There are a few options, if you consider that you don't necessarily need
special support for versioning:

  * Would using a snapshot-based revision control system like Git be an
    option?  If yes, you could use the [filestore] library.

  * Another option is to run an insertion-only relational model on
    really any database system you want like PostgreSQL.  There is
    nothing about preserving history that needs special handling to be
    efficient.

  * Yet another option is to model your application state with history
    and use [acid-state].  However, acid-state only makes an in-memory
    Haskell value (the "database") persistent with ACID guarantees.  If
    you mostly work with the current state, keeping the whole history in
    memory all the time would be a waste.  Therefore this option may be
    less useful.

[acid-state]: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/acid-state
[filestore]:  https://hackage.haskell.org/package/filestore

Greets