[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Datomic-like db for Haskell?

Ovidiu Deac ovidiudeac at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:41:34 UTC 2016

>   * Would using a snapshot-based revision control system like Git be an
>     option?  If yes, you could use the [filestore] library.

It's not exactly what I had in mind but I'll think about it.

>   * Another option is to run an insertion-only relational model on
>     really any database system you want like PostgreSQL.  There is
>     nothing about preserving history that needs special handling to be
>     efficient.

I assume that some sort  of structural sharing is needed once the
collections grow above a certain size. Also some support for caching would
be nice.

>   * Yet another option is to model your application state with history
>     and use [acid-state].  However, acid-state only makes an in-memory
>     Haskell value (the "database") persistent with ACID guarantees.  If
>     you mostly work with the current state, keeping the whole history in
>     memory all the time would be a waste.  Therefore this option may be
>     less useful.

The database will probably grow bigger than the memory so this is not an
option.

...and thanks for the pointers