[Haskell-cafe] ANN ghc-mod-5.4.0.0, now with Stack support!

Daniel Gröber dxld at darkboxed.org
Wed Sep 16 05:47:03 UTC 2015

I'm pleased to announce the release of ghc-mod 5.4.0.0!

What's new?
===========

* Stack support

  After countless requests ghc-mod now finally has first class Stack
  support. This should mostly Just-Work^TM there is one caveat though if
  `dist/setup-config` exists in a Cabal-project directory ghc-mod will continue
  using cabal-install instead of Stack so if you want to use Stack instead
  simply remove that file or the whole directory. You also need at least Stack
  version 0.1.4.0 for this to work.

* Support for unsaved files

  Nikolay Yakimov (@lierdakil) has contributed support for remapping files in a
  project to temporary files so that the frontend can use these to communicate
  unsaved file contents to ghc-mod. This is currently supported by Atom's
  ide-haskell and ghc-mod own Emacs frontend. If you're using a different
  frontend you should probably nudge the maintainer to get this supported.

* Massive slowdown has been fixed

  A bug causing recompilation checking to be skipped, introduced in v5.3.0.0,
  has been fixed and ghc-mod should be as responsive as `:reload` in ghci again.

* Fixed `Cannot add module to context: not interpreted`

  When compilation output from a `cabal build` run were present in `dist/`
  ghc-mod would in certain cases throw this error. This bug was introduced in
  v5.3.0.0 and has now been fixed.

What is ghc-mod?
================

ghc-mod is both a backend program for enhancing editors and other kinds of
development environments with support for Haskell and a library for abstracting
the black magic incantations required to use the GHC API in various
environments, especially Cabal projects. The library is used by ambitious
projects like HaRe[1] and mote[2].

Getting ghc-mod
===============

GitHub: https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/ghc-mod
Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/ghc-mod

Editor frontends:

  - Emacs (native):
      https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/ghc-mod
      https://github.com/iquiw/company-ghc
  - Vim:
      https://github.com/eagletmt/ghcmod-vim
      https://github.com/eagletmt/neco-ghc
  - Atom:
      https://github.com/atom-haskell/ide-haskell
      https://github.com/andyfriesen/Helium

Known issues
============

ghc-mod's `case`, `sig` and `refine` commands still do not work properly with
GHC 7.10 (See https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/ghc-mod/issues/438). Unless
someone volunteers to fix this issue I will work towards repacing the features
using mote[2] instead as the current code is, from my point of view,
unmaintainable.

If you do notice any other problems please report them:
https://github.com/kazu-yamamoto/ghc-mod/issues

----
[1]: https://github.com/alanz/HaRe
[2]: https://github.com/imeckler/mote