[Haskell-cafe] Simple question about blackholing

Kei Davis kei at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 16 15:57:37 UTC 2015

Hello,

By all accounts I've found a thunk is blackholed by replacing its header
with a (the) blackhole code pointer (or blackhole info pointer in the
unregisterized case).  My simple-minded question is how garbage
collection can take place given that the layout of the payload is lost.
Surely not a custom blackhole for each (statically defined) thunk?  A
list of blackholes maintained somewhere that the GC knows about?

Thanks for any insight!

Kei

--
Kei Davis
Applied Computer Science Group CCS-7, Mail Stop B287