[Haskell-cafe] lazily updating dependencies, git submodules and cabal

Dimitri DeFigueiredo defigueiredo at ucdavis.edu
Thu Sep 10 18:26:55 UTC 2015

Yes, it's the classic diamond dependency graph.
  / \
B  C
  \ /

A = Trader, B = ProfitCalculator, C = Persistence, D = MarketModel.
It is not that I *want* Trader (A) to depend on two different versions
of MarketModel (D), that is just a consequence. I don't have a choice.

What I want is for the ProfitCalculator (B) and Persistence (C) to
always build. And if an update changes the MarketModel (D) from
underneath them, they might break. So, I want them to each lock-in a
specific version. In effect, I am forcing the graph above to turn into
something like.
    / \
   B  C
  /     \
D       D'

I may not write any code that uses the MarketModel (D) directly on the
Trader (A).
I do understand that there are at least 1 point to keep in mind:
  types defined in D will be different from those in D' (typeclasses
will be defined twice)

But the benefit of *not* having to always keep everything building on
the latest version every time I update the MarketModel (D) is huge for me!

Cheers,

Dimitri