[Haskell-cafe] lazily updating dependencies, git submodules and cabal

David Turner dct25-561bs at mythic-beasts.com
Thu Sep 10 19:00:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'd recommend investigating using stack rather than cabal directly for
this. Stack is good for a situation where you need to split things up into
more than one .cabal file, and should be able to handle handle the
dependencies between the modules without getting itself in a twist.

By way of a non-solution, I'd also strongly recommend (from experience) not
letting bitrot take hold over the course of the year and then putting all
the effort in at the end to clean it all up at the end. If you're
struggling to keep the Tax module in sync with the rest of the system, then
that often indicates your dependencies are not quite right. For instance,
it seems suspicious that tax calculations know anything about persistence.

Hope that helps,

David