[Haskell-cafe] GHC Extension Proposal: ArgumentBlock

Alexey Vagarenko vagarenko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 12:36:12 UTC 2015

Consider this.
If we didn't have $ operator in the first place, we'd use parentheses
everywhere:

    foo (bar (baz (qux (quux (do a <- b; return a)))))
under your proposal it turns to:
    foo (bar (baz (qux (quux do a <- b; return a))))

another example:
    foo (bar baz) (qux quux) (do a <- b; return a)
turns to :
    foo (bar baz) (qux quux) do a <- b; return a

with lambdas:
    foo (bar baz) (qux quux) (\x -> x)
to:
    foo (bar baz) (qux quux) \x -> x

Can't you see your proposal makes things *less *consistent, *not more*?
-1.