[Haskell-cafe] GHC Extension Proposal: ArgumentBlock

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 19:48:45 UTC 2015

> If you made tooling aware of ($) would you need to check that it is
> importing the Prelude version and not another one?

Every non-toy refactoring tool (and I guess a lot of other ones) needs to
understand fixity declarations, imports, scopes etc. anyway, otherwise it
would be next to useless.

> Not that I'm suggesting that having a different implementation would be
> sensible.

"Sensible" is always a subjective notion, and tools should not have
subjective behavior. :-) In other words: If it's legal, the tool must
handle it. A lot of things which were initially considered
nonsense/impractical/confusing are mainstream nowadays. Furthermore, there
are a few experimental Prelude variants out there.