[Haskell-cafe] Private packages on hackage

Alan & Kim Zimmerman alan.zimm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:04:51 UTC 2015

> At Signal Vine, we've already developed the infrastructure around
> hosting and building packages, but otherwise I would consider using such
> a service depending on what features it provides and how well it fits
> out process (and how much it costs, obviously). Bare hackage with
> private packages wouldn't cut it; if it did, we'd just run our own
> hackage server.

My thinking actually started with possibly running our own hackage server,
but then you have to allocate a machine and take time/skills to administer
it. So if a service like this is available at a similar or lower cost it
starts to make sense.

It also lowers the bar for commercial take-up, by sending a signal that
commercial users are supported, and allowing "toe-in-the water" commercial
projects at low upfront cost.