[Haskell-cafe] Private packages on hackage

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 10:30:27 UTC 2015

On September 3, 2015 at 12:42:48 AM, Roman Cheplyaka (roma at ro-che.info) wrote:

> This raises the question of who hackage belongs to.
>
> Historically hackage has been a public service with no-one in particular
> behind it. Well-Typed volunteered to work on it occasionally, but there
> wasn't a sense of ownership or responsibility.
> (At least that was how it looked to me.)

This has not been true for a long time. Hackage 1.0 was maintained by Ross Paterson for many years. It was first written by Lemmih in 2004 (http://marc.info/?l=haskell&m=120492314116236) and developed and maintained as a community project. Some of the people at well-typed who have worked on it, such as Duncan, were working on it well before “well-typed” even existed.

After the formation of the haskell.org committee and the consolidation of our infrastructure it became the responsibility of the haskell.org committee, and of the infrastructure team.

As the current hackage homepage still notes, “hackage 2.0” was funded in large part through support of the Industrial Haskell Group. Additionally, work took place through GSoC projects. More ongoing work has been accomplished through subsequent GSoCs as well, including this year.

Hackage remains maintained, as with other community infrastructure, by the haskell infrastructure administrative team, with ultimate responsibility resting with the haskell.org committee.

That said, I personally have no opinion on such a service, but since I am at ICFP as is Alan, I look forward to discussing it in person :-)

Cheers,
Gershom