[Haskell-cafe] Private packages on hackage

Adam Foltzer acfoltzer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:10:46 UTC 2015

Perhaps we can discuss this further in person during the Symposium, but at
first glance I am strongly opposed to adding this sort of paid service to
Hackage under the Haskell.org umbrella.

I share Duncan's doubts that the amount of money brought in would offset
the amount of time spent implementing, maintaining, and supporting even
just this feature, not to mention the fact that this would surely
complicate development and maintenance of the open-source side of Hackage.

This approach also exacerbates the wart of cabal-install's interdependency
with hackage.haskell.org. I would much prefer to see a commercial vendor,
perhaps Well-Typed or FPComplete, able to spin up proprietary Hackages as a
service for commercial users, and for those Hackages to integrate well with
hackage.haskell.org.

That there is enthusiasm for this idea shows that there might be a viable
commercial idea here, but Haskell.org is not the home for it.

Adam