[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Compatibility etiquette for apps, with cabal sandboxes and `stack`

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 16:51:34 UTC 2015

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 5:37:35 PM UTC+1, Peter Simons wrote:

> Omari Norman writes:
>
>  > Someone installing an application can just use stack and Stackage.
>
> I wonder how many people would be using XMonad, git-annex, etc. if this
> view were common place among application developers.
>
> I'm pretty sure that a large part of the user base of these tools has no
> clue "stack" exists, even, and the only reason why they can install
> these programs is because their distributions package manager allows
> then to do so without exposing them to any Haskell-specific build tools.

I guess you're thinking of different markets: "uses git-annex" is indeed
(probably) orthogonal even to "knows there's a programming language called
Haskell" (I might be exaggerating); I agree there distributing via Hackage
is not a good option.

But developers of, say, `hlint` have (I guess arguably) another target
audience — Haskell developers; my question was about this audience, and
Omari Norman's answer makes sense there.