[Haskell-cafe] Darcs vs Git

Francesco Ariis fa-ml at ariis.it
Sat Nov 14 19:43:09 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 07:28:27PM +0000, Geraldus wrote:
> Hi friends!
>
> I love Haskell very much.  So, I'm very interested in using Darcs.  Is
> there some documentation explaining diffrences between Darcs and Git.  Is
> there something that makes Darcs more robust rathen that Git.  Does Darcs
> have some Emacs support (something like `magit`)?
>
> And one other question.  Currently, I have no collaborators and use Git
> majorly myself to have version control, e.g. to revert some bad code, to
> have a nice log with code diffs and comments, and etc.  But in future I
> will need something like GitHub for collaboration, is there a good solution
> for Darcs' hub already?

Hello Geraldus, I am a happy darcs user. I enjoy its basic philosophy
much more than git one (patches vs. branches [1]); I do feel the
user experience to be much smoother, too.

There are darcs hosting services, one of them being darcs hub [2].

Or you can just upload the repository to your webspace and -presto-
you are ready. I work like this [3] alongside with some barebone
issue tracker [4] and I am pretty happy.

[1] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Understanding_Darcs/Patch_theory
[2] http://hub.darcs.net/
[3] http://www.ariis.it/link/repos/
[4] http://www.ariis.it/static/articles/lentil/page.html