[Haskell-cafe] an idea for modifiyng data/newtype syntax: use `::=` instead of `=`

Alexey Muranov alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 09:22:04 UTC 2015

On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 11:53:35 PM UTC+3, Tom Ellis wrote:

> My +1 was to keeping a record of small but breaking changes that, if made
> at
> inception, would have benefitted what Haskell is now.  What anyone else
> wants to *do* with such a record is up to them.

A separate +1 to this emphasis on keeping track of possible or desired
(even if unfeasible) improvements.

Here is my another argument for this: academic papers about Haskell or
functional programming do not have to keep to the actual Haskell syntax.
 IMO, they could benefit in clarity by switching to some pseudo-Haskell
with `:` instead of `::` for typing, `::=` instead of `=` in `data`
definition, etc:  the description language of the underlying abstraction
should be independent from the current implementation syntax.

Alexey.