[Haskell-cafe] an idea for modifiyng data/newtype syntax: use `::=` instead of `=`

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 21:49:05 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Kosyrev Serge <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru>
wrote:

> Do you mean that adding a new keyword to the language, guarded by a
> language extension, really deserves this strong wording -- "effectively
> incompatible"?

Do you mean that I am required to look for this in every program so I know
what *actual* language this program is written in?
Do you mean that people who have years oof experience with a lnaguage
should fully expect to have to look for new magic that means this program
is not actually written in the language they know?
Do you mean that stability is completely meaningless when you can pretend
that adding a pragma justifies changing anything you feel like?
Or do you mean that stability simply is not a thing at all?