[Haskell-cafe] Scala at position 25 of the Tiobe index, Haskell dropped

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Fri Apr 17 13:21:55 UTC 2015

I find that Haskell has a very different learning curve from other languages that I use/know/have-tried, in that the basic language itself is very simple and easy to learn and appreciate. However once one starts using a lot of monads and applicatives and other libraries, it can begin to look more like APL.

   >>>                     parser >>= >>>  ( \s -> return ( pl' { P.payloadData = setField pld (Just s) } } ) )

Certainly one can learn to parse and read this, but with all of the new operators and thus syntax not familiar to standard IP language users.
(Not a complaint, just an observation from teaching this to students new to FP.)

And in my experience the cabal problems are the "fatal-flaw"; it is not infrequent that I have had to delete all libraries and start over, and I have only very simple usage. I would not want to have a business project that depended on this, as often I have not found a good solution where I could install all the packages I wanted. (Perhaps I just need to learn more about sandboxing techniques.)

I am not a fan of the Scala syntax, but it does seem to be an easier transition because it look-and-feel's more like the typical IPs.