[Haskell-cafe] Linking/uploading a PDF file in HaskellWiki

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 01:26:52 UTC 2014

For the information of all, I just fixed this! Sorry for the mess. Jost had pinged me earlier as well.

It turns out that this probably broke with an upgrade to the haskell wiki, which as we sadly know runs on mediawiki. While it has been claimed that PHP (which Phab also runs on) is about “Powerful Haskell Programming”, in fact this is not the case. A further upgrade might have fixed this, but since I don’t know the surface area of that, I just found and fixed the bugs, which were delightful. Three instances of null pointer errors caused by a type error of assuming that all uploads would be images and not e.g. pdfs or the like. Hence a “feature” of creating thumbnail galleries instead just broke everything flat out for uses such as ours. In a true php fashion I just shrugged, threw in a few null pointer checks, and moved on. Well, always nice to confirm that the Haskell way indeed has virtue.

Prior uploads should actually have worked, but were simply inaccessible due to this mess. Now, those files should be available.

Cheers,
Gershom