[Haskell-cafe] ANN: vimus - An MPD client with vim-like key bindings

Simon Hengel sol at typeful.net
Sun Sep 21 14:44:10 UTC 2014

Hi,
I just uploaded vimus [1] to Hackage.

vimus is an MPD client with vim-like key bindings.

I've been using it as my exclusive music player since early 2010.  It
comes with it's own quick & dirty ncurses bindings, which is one of the
reasons why I was reluctant to push it to Hackage so far.

Check the README for installation and usage:

  https://github.com/vimus/vimus#readme

vimus is not a masterpiece of coding beauty** , but it's incredibly
useful to me and a couple of other people over at #vimus on Freenode.

Patches are welcome as long as they

 - reduce code bloat and improve hackability

 - do not conflict with my use cases (in case of doubt we make things
   configurable)

 - do not require lots of work from my side (vimus already works
   incredibly well for me and I can not spend too many cycles on it)

vimus would not be what it is today without the help of others.  In
particular I'm grateful to

 - Niklas Haas for being the second user of vimus and contributing many
   useful features

 - Joachim Fasting for his work on libmpd and contributing high quality
   patches to vimus

 - Markus Klinik for contributing documentation and features

 - Matvey Aksenov for adding even more features

Cheers,
Simon

** Indeed, vimus served me as a testing ground for experimenting with
both Haskell and lean software development.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/vimus
[2] https://github.com/vimus/vimus#using-vimus