[Haskell-cafe] Yi project proposal for GSOC 2014

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 08:11:44 UTC 2014

On 11/03/14 08:04, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> I should point out that the ways Vim and Emacs (and others like Sublime /
> Textmate) do those plugins is they often run them in a subprocess.
>
> Now i agree that having in process multi threading would be a good thing, I
> merely point out that there are ways to add the plugins you outline that
> need not depend on fully resolving the concurrency story.
>
> Yes, not calling a subprocess and stuff will be much better, just pointing
> out there are *ungodly* but feasible alternative hacks.
>
> :)
> -Carter

I am far too well aware of this ;P The reason why I'm not even
mentioning this as a possibility is because it is a terrible thing to do
and requires a lot of juggling to behave more or less like you'd want
it. Even today I have my emacs freeze up when I run cabal repl inside of
it for the first time.

Also as I mentioned, we have no means to periodically run things, which
means we can't periodically query our subprocess. There is no mechanism
for such scheduling and while doing it in a single thread like emacs and
vim do is *a* way to do it, you yourself point out that it's sub-par.

So yeah, I'm not even starting to consider that option, I don't want to
end up with yet another editor that doesn't do actual concurrency.

--
Mateusz K.