[Haskell-cafe] Yi project proposal for GSOC 2014

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:46:38 UTC 2014

I support this idea for purely selfish reasons.  I write haskell in
vim, and I'm constantly bothered by vim bugs that will likely never be
fixed, and I don't dare try to fix them myself because vim source is
such a jungle.  I have several extensions for syntactic manipulation
written in vimscript and python, and they mostly work but not entirely
reliably because vim extension is clumsy.  I use tags and they also
have problems, but once again I'm not about to go in and redo vim's
tag support.  Etc. etc.

Yi is tempting because it promises to be a place where I could fix
these things for real, but I've been discouraged in the past by
immaturity (can't even get it to build) and lack of documentation.  So
I think some concentrated attention to the build, documentation,
general cleanliness, and performance would be a great idea.  I'm not
too fussed about a lack of concurrency since I think there are more
fundamental problems, but if it would result in improvements to those
fundamental problems, I'm all for it.