[Haskell-cafe] Yi documentation

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Feb 18 00:19:04 UTC 2014

On 17/02/14 23:54, David Thomas wrote:
> Does this mean generally I can't run an external command with output into a
> buffer (or buffer region)?
>

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
> <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> On 17/02/14 22:25, David Thomas wrote:
>>> Vim doesn't do concurrency either, so that wouldn't be a regression.
>>>

>> Yes, but it does single thread scheduling to compensate (as does emacs)
>> while Yi doesn't which means implementing quickfix (and other modes)
>> isn't too viable without halting the whole editor.
>>
>> --
>> Mateusz K.

You can, it will just hang the editor while it happens. An easy test is
having Yi call something like ‘sleep 5; echo foo’.

It should be easy to see why it's a big problem at the moment.
Personally I stumbled upon it when trying to implement myself an IRC
client inside of Yi but there are many use cases.

Anyway, I feel that we're getting a bit off-topic here. If you're
interested in helping out with implementing the concurrency stuff, we'd
love to have you: pop into #yi, look around the issue tracker and maybe
even post to the Yi mailing list.

--
Mateusz K.