[Haskell-cafe] ANN: Simon Marlow & Edward Kmett @ ZuriHac 2014

Tillmann Rendel rendel at informatik.uni-marburg.de
Fri Feb 14 23:00:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

Bas van Dijk wrote:
>> I see the linked Wiki page with some brief directions to Zurich Youth
>> Hostel but no mention why they are there. Is that where attendees are
>> meant to stay? Is there a reason for that particular place?
>
> Good point. I should probably remove the link to the Zurich Youth
> Hostel. We had an arrangement with them for ZuriHac 2013 which allowed
> Haskellers to stay in one big room together. In the end, hardly
> anybody made use of the hostel and instead stayed in hotels in/near
> the center of Zurich.

I was one of the few people that stayed in the hostel. We mentioned
ZuriHac on our reservation for two people, but that didn't make any
difference. When we arrived, we mentioned at the front desk that we
attend ZuriHac, and they agreed to try to fill up our four bed room with
other ZuriHac attendants. And indeed, we ended up with one additional
Haskeller but also one unrelated person. That was fun, but an
all-Haskeller room would have been even more fun, I guess. If I would go
again, I would only consider the youth hostel if I manage to find enough
Haskellers via the mailing list or IRC or whatever to book all of the
beds in a room together.

There was free Wifi, but only in the common room, not in the bed room.
The common room was very nice, and it was fun to meet the other
travelers, as you would expect at a youth hostel. The hostel is not down
town, but there is good public transport to the downtown locations, or a
30min walk along the lake.

   Tillmann