[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu May 2 10:12:03 CEST 2013

Byron Hale <byron.hale <at> einfo.com> writes:

>       I was just in the process of trying to get Haskell 7.6 installed.

You cannot "install Haskell 7.6". Haskell is a language.

You can install a language implementation (compiler/interpreter).
There may be several. You can also install a set of libraries.
These may be bundled (one compiler with one set of libraries).
One such bundle is called "the Haskell platform".
Is this what you are trying to install? (But then the version is nothing
like 7.6, this looks more like a compiler version.)

Of course this naming error is directly suggested by haskell.org, where
we have the equally meaningless "Download Haskell" right on the front page.

- J.W.